Skip to main content

Sleep (or lack thereof)

Apparently, short people are predisposed to sleeping poorly.  It is a well known fact that tall people sleep longer (ba-da-bing).

Poor joke aside (provided by my Dear Husband and had me cracking up.  And then, after a minute of chuckling, had me asking if that was supposed to be a pun or a real fact, which, in turn had him cracking up at my gullibility).  As I was saying poor joke aside, I do sleep poorly.  Not quite an insomniac, just a bad sleeper.

And how do I remedy this, especially in the middle of the night?  I turn on my brightly lit iTouch while in bed and activate a puzzle app.  Yeah - thinking puzzles are the best way to get back to sleep.  Even better are the puzzles that time you, so that you keep trying to get a better and better time.  Nothing like those competitive juices to relax you and get you back to sleep.

Like this one - it's called latkin, but it's actually a game called KenKen.  It's like Sudoku, but it incorporates arithmetic.  Just the perfect thing to do in the middle of the night trying to get back to sleep.
Here are my top three recorded scores...  Take note : the time of day is the top number (hence the "am" or "pm" and the one underneath that is how long it took me to complete the puzzle in minutes and seconds).

 

Yes - it says "Awesome" and yes, it says 1:45am.  And look at the battery life... I used up half of it getting to this point.  And did I stop there?  Nooooo - I had to try and replicate it.  Sad that this is what I do for "fun and relaxation".  Sad that I couldn't replicate it.  Just Sad.  Sad.  Sad.

So let's look at something not so sad.  PRESENTS!!! More specifically, presents that I made and hence proving that I do not waste all of my time.


 I'm loving the kinda retro look of this one (I used an old pair of jeans) and I had a relaxing time embroidering the name onto the ball.  Quite therapeutic - hand sewing.

Happy Birthday, Ethan!

And also this set of goodies for my dear friend, Ms P.


And what's that tasseled thing, you ask?



A book weight!  I noticed that Ms P did not have a cookbook stand in her kitchen and thought this might be a nice alternative.  Twas a be-atch to make, but it came together in the end.  A big thanks to my super imaginative Dear Husband who suggested fishing sinkers to use as weights.

Happy Birthday Ms P!!  I know you love to bake and cook, so I hope you find many occasions to use your book weight (and that the sewing stays intact!).

PS.  The book weight was made using my imagination but the inspiration came from this wonderful blog.  The purses were made using the patterns from this talented designer, Nicole Mallalieu.  I have just read that Nikki will probably be closing her online retail shop (which was THE BEST source for bag and purse making supplies), so I would suggest checking it out quick before her store goes offline.

For more creative inspirations, head on over to JAQS Studio.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 on 10

"Finding much life and beauty among the ordinary things of our day"... 10 photos over 10 hours - a snapshot of the beauty in my sometimes-ordinary-sometimes-hectic- sometimes-overwhelming-sometimes-good-sometimes-bad-but-always-filled-with-love life.  Thanks for dropping by! Good Morning, mama! Strong hands; precious cargo Got to love me a well-organised, rubbish-free art box! Good nap, lil' sis?  Wanna come out to play? Let's get ready for lunch Inspired to bake something yet, mama? Sleep, my little one.  Rest well and get better soon. A little Iced Coffee, sweetened with life's elixir - sweetened condensed milk - to get me through the rest of the day New skills and new discoveries An organized toy bucket - be still my anal obsessive heart For a glimpse of beautiful lives across the world (thanks to digital cameras and that wonderful sharing community that is "bloggers"), please head on over to Rebe

Monkey See; Monkey Do

I was just monkeying around the kitchen... I had some dough leftover from baking dinner rolls and cinnamon buns (yeah - it was alot of dough!) and I had seen this idea from the Pioneer Woman previously.  Cinnamon, butter, sugar and a dash of sweetened condensed milk - yes please!!!  Ok, so maybe, just maybe, I accidentally on purpose put some dough aside just so I could indulge in this .... well, indulgence. And what an indulgence - worse still, an easy indulgence as I already had the dough.  Caramelised cinnamon sugar with a bit of bread covered with sweetened condensed milk.  I don't think I really need to say more. And, in honour of Father's Day, we had special "WE heart DADDY" pancakes... ok ok - I ran out of time, energy and ideas this year.  (Note to self - try harder next year!) Don't mock the banana - at $12.99/kg this is a real treat.  Unfortunately Daddy was too slow and Little Miss M took it and ate it.  It might be Father's Da

Show some empathy

I'm a real killjoy when it comes to the Royal Melbourne Show.  It's just not my cup of tea.  I'm thinking it's been a couple of decades (nothing makes you feel older than this word, eh?), yep DECADES I'm sure, since I've been to the show.  It's expensive and there's nowhere to sit in the shade and it's expensive and it smells and it's pretty expensive (have I already said that?) especially when the only thing I want to do there is ride on the dodgem cars.   So, I'm the last person you would want with you at the show.  I am an RMS scrooge. Well, this year Little Miss M is heading off to the show with her dad and her grandma.  "Would you like to go to the show this year, love?" asks Dear Husband as he is purchasing the tickets online. "No thanks" I reply without missing a beat.  And then I start muttering to myself about how expensive it is, and how I really don't like the show, and how they probably