Skip to main content

Birth versus graters and needles

You know - when I gave birth to my second child I didn't use any drugs.  No epidural, no laughing gas, not even panadol.  This was not about "preference"; I just didn't need it. 

The monitor said I was having contractions - I didn't feel it. 

The monitor said I was having strong contractions - I said "Oh really? Hmm." 

In the last 20 minutes I said to my Dear Husband "Oh, I can feel them now.  Can you please massage my back?" 

And that was all the pain relief I needed - a back massage.  A couple of pushes later and Baby Mac was safely out.

Although the birth of my first born involved a bit more pain, it was commented at the time that I had a very high pain threshold.

Well... it would seem that I have a high pain threshold but only when giving birth.

Faced with a needle going into my arm - I cringe.

Holding my baby for her immunisation shots - I tense up so much that I'm nearly crushing her.

And confronted with a small (but deep, I pinky swear it was deep) gash on my finger from a too vigorous stroke against the grater and I'm a big girl's blouse.  I called my husband home from work.  *sigh* yes, I called my husband home from work for a gash on my finger.

And when he comes home, he finds me calm and collected, until he leads me to the bathroom (away from the girls) in which I totally break down.  And I'm begging him - BEGGING HIM - to forego the antiseptic and just put on the bandage.  

Okay, so I didn't use the word "forego".   It was more like "no.. no.. no.. please no.. it's going to hurt.. it's going to hurt.. no.. I don't want it.. it's going to hurt.. I don't need it; it will be alright without it.. if you love me you won't do it.. no.. no.. no".

Not one of my finer moments.

But this one is... converting an extra early morning call from both of my girls into - no, not a grumpy, bleary-eyed mom - but into Blueberry Breakfast Cake.
Breakfast?  Cake?  Oh yes, please.


So, what can you expect when someone like me tells you that this IS a breakfast cake?  


Well, it goes great with your morning tea or coffee.  The texture is more like your morning muffin and not your afternoon cupcake.  It has fruit in it.  And if you serve it with cream (or ice-cream) you would have a good portion of your dairy needs already met.


It tastes wonderful.  That hint of lemon from the lemon zest is a treat.  It is just as good the following day.  And is there really a better way to start your day?


Enjoy peeps!

PS. A few notes :
- I didn't have any buttermilk, so I replaced this with a milk/vinegar concoction.
- I didn't have enough fresh blueberries, so I made up the difference using frozen blueberries.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 on 10

"Finding much life and beauty among the ordinary things of our day"... 10 photos over 10 hours - a snapshot of the beauty in my sometimes-ordinary-sometimes-hectic- sometimes-overwhelming-sometimes-good-sometimes-bad-but-always-filled-with-love life.  Thanks for dropping by! Good Morning, mama! Strong hands; precious cargo Got to love me a well-organised, rubbish-free art box! Good nap, lil' sis?  Wanna come out to play? Let's get ready for lunch Inspired to bake something yet, mama? Sleep, my little one.  Rest well and get better soon. A little Iced Coffee, sweetened with life's elixir - sweetened condensed milk - to get me through the rest of the day New skills and new discoveries An organized toy bucket - be still my anal obsessive heart For a glimpse of beautiful lives across the world (thanks to digital cameras and that wonderful sharing community that is "bloggers"), please head on over to Rebe

Monkey See; Monkey Do

I was just monkeying around the kitchen... I had some dough leftover from baking dinner rolls and cinnamon buns (yeah - it was alot of dough!) and I had seen this idea from the Pioneer Woman previously.  Cinnamon, butter, sugar and a dash of sweetened condensed milk - yes please!!!  Ok, so maybe, just maybe, I accidentally on purpose put some dough aside just so I could indulge in this .... well, indulgence. And what an indulgence - worse still, an easy indulgence as I already had the dough.  Caramelised cinnamon sugar with a bit of bread covered with sweetened condensed milk.  I don't think I really need to say more. And, in honour of Father's Day, we had special "WE heart DADDY" pancakes... ok ok - I ran out of time, energy and ideas this year.  (Note to self - try harder next year!) Don't mock the banana - at $12.99/kg this is a real treat.  Unfortunately Daddy was too slow and Little Miss M took it and ate it.  It might be Father's Da

Show some empathy

I'm a real killjoy when it comes to the Royal Melbourne Show.  It's just not my cup of tea.  I'm thinking it's been a couple of decades (nothing makes you feel older than this word, eh?), yep DECADES I'm sure, since I've been to the show.  It's expensive and there's nowhere to sit in the shade and it's expensive and it smells and it's pretty expensive (have I already said that?) especially when the only thing I want to do there is ride on the dodgem cars.   So, I'm the last person you would want with you at the show.  I am an RMS scrooge. Well, this year Little Miss M is heading off to the show with her dad and her grandma.  "Would you like to go to the show this year, love?" asks Dear Husband as he is purchasing the tickets online. "No thanks" I reply without missing a beat.  And then I start muttering to myself about how expensive it is, and how I really don't like the show, and how they probably