Skip to main content

Birth versus graters and needles

You know - when I gave birth to my second child I didn't use any drugs.  No epidural, no laughing gas, not even panadol.  This was not about "preference"; I just didn't need it. 

The monitor said I was having contractions - I didn't feel it. 

The monitor said I was having strong contractions - I said "Oh really? Hmm." 

In the last 20 minutes I said to my Dear Husband "Oh, I can feel them now.  Can you please massage my back?" 

And that was all the pain relief I needed - a back massage.  A couple of pushes later and Baby Mac was safely out.

Although the birth of my first born involved a bit more pain, it was commented at the time that I had a very high pain threshold.

Well... it would seem that I have a high pain threshold but only when giving birth.

Faced with a needle going into my arm - I cringe.

Holding my baby for her immunisation shots - I tense up so much that I'm nearly crushing her.

And confronted with a small (but deep, I pinky swear it was deep) gash on my finger from a too vigorous stroke against the grater and I'm a big girl's blouse.  I called my husband home from work.  *sigh* yes, I called my husband home from work for a gash on my finger.

And when he comes home, he finds me calm and collected, until he leads me to the bathroom (away from the girls) in which I totally break down.  And I'm begging him - BEGGING HIM - to forego the antiseptic and just put on the bandage.  

Okay, so I didn't use the word "forego".   It was more like "no.. no.. no.. please no.. it's going to hurt.. it's going to hurt.. no.. I don't want it.. it's going to hurt.. I don't need it; it will be alright without it.. if you love me you won't do it.. no.. no.. no".

Not one of my finer moments.

But this one is... converting an extra early morning call from both of my girls into - no, not a grumpy, bleary-eyed mom - but into Blueberry Breakfast Cake.
Breakfast?  Cake?  Oh yes, please.


So, what can you expect when someone like me tells you that this IS a breakfast cake?  


Well, it goes great with your morning tea or coffee.  The texture is more like your morning muffin and not your afternoon cupcake.  It has fruit in it.  And if you serve it with cream (or ice-cream) you would have a good portion of your dairy needs already met.


It tastes wonderful.  That hint of lemon from the lemon zest is a treat.  It is just as good the following day.  And is there really a better way to start your day?


Enjoy peeps!

PS. A few notes :
- I didn't have any buttermilk, so I replaced this with a milk/vinegar concoction.
- I didn't have enough fresh blueberries, so I made up the difference using frozen blueberries.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 on 10

"Finding much life and beauty among the ordinary things of our day"... 10 photos over 10 hours - a snapshot of the beauty in my sometimes-ordinary-sometimes-hectic- sometimes-overwhelming-sometimes-good-sometimes-bad-but-always-filled-with-love life.  Thanks for dropping by! Good Morning, mama! Strong hands; precious cargo Got to love me a well-organised, rubbish-free art box! Good nap, lil' sis?  Wanna come out to play? Let's get ready for lunch Inspired to bake something yet, mama? Sleep, my little one.  Rest well and get better soon. A little Iced Coffee, sweetened with life's elixir - sweetened condensed milk - to get me through the rest of the day New skills and new discoveries An organized toy bucket - be still my anal obsessive heart For a glimpse of beautiful lives across the world (thanks to digital cameras and that wonderful sharing community that is "bloggers"), please head on over to Rebe...

Monkey See; Monkey Do

I was just monkeying around the kitchen... I had some dough leftover from baking dinner rolls and cinnamon buns (yeah - it was alot of dough!) and I had seen this idea from the Pioneer Woman previously.  Cinnamon, butter, sugar and a dash of sweetened condensed milk - yes please!!!  Ok, so maybe, just maybe, I accidentally on purpose put some dough aside just so I could indulge in this .... well, indulgence. And what an indulgence - worse still, an easy indulgence as I already had the dough.  Caramelised cinnamon sugar with a bit of bread covered with sweetened condensed milk.  I don't think I really need to say more. And, in honour of Father's Day, we had special "WE heart DADDY" pancakes... ok ok - I ran out of time, energy and ideas this year.  (Note to self - try harder next year!) Don't mock the banana - at $12.99/kg this is a real treat.  Unfortunately Daddy was too slow and Little Miss M took it and ate it.  It might be Fat...

Tuesday's Treat : Shanghai Street Dumpling House

Shanghai Street Dumpling House 342 Little Bourke St Upon the recommendation of jetsettingjoyce , I decided to treat myself to some dumplings for lunch one day.   The day was stinking hot, the location was a not-so-short-walk-but-too-short-for-a-tram away, but I was determined.   And my determination and brief walk paid off.    Seated alone by the window bar, I ordered the mini fried buns and boiled pork dumplings.   The view was essential Melbourne with old buildings towered by new (ish, anyway), and small non-descript laneways hiding a treasure trove of glorious food and eclectic shops.   Shanghai Street Dumpling House is a small diner-like eatery like many other Asian eateries around Melbourne.  Limited seating is available, but the turn around of customers was quick from what I could observe, so the wait did not seem long for a table.  Service is fast and efficient.  Cash only.  Really – a no fuss place.  The...