Skip to main content

Bedside topside

Bunk beds, loft beds… they’re pretty cool.  

Awesome cubby houses; magical castles; huge hideaway spots; in-house cinema.  

Just an awesome place to be.  

Why wouldn’t you have a bunk bed or a loft bed?  Especially with three kids!  Especially in a small apartment.

Well, here’s a couple of reasons why not…

If you’re the wrong height and you can’t reach the top bunk from the ground, do you know how difficult it is to change those bed sheets?

Or what about when you want to air out the mattress?  If I can’t put on the bedsheets from down there, how do you think I’m going to lift the mattress high enough to go over the railing and then down to the floor?  WATCH OUT BELOW!

And what about when your kid falls asleep in the car?  Yep – you can maneuver them out of the car.  Yep – you can carry them up the stairs.  Yep – you can turn this way and that so that you don’t bump them into the furniture.  But what about getting them UP to the top bunk?

And then, no bedside table.  Where to put the water bottle?  Where to put the bedtime book?  Where to put your glasses?  Or the iphone? (Actually, that’s for when the parent falls asleep in the top bunk!)

Well... I'm still thinking of how to address the first three problems (you're thinking stilts, aren't you?), I do have a solution for the last one.  Bedside pouch!


Thanks to a visit from a school friend, the little ones were all occupied so that I could whip this one up in an afternoon.  It's a button/strap attachment on the back with two very roomy pockets on the front.  Little Miss M is very happy.  And I feel safer knowing that no more heavy novels will come falling down from the top bunk in the middle of the night!


Sweet dreams, little ones!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 on 10

"Finding much life and beauty among the ordinary things of our day"... 10 photos over 10 hours - a snapshot of the beauty in my sometimes-ordinary-sometimes-hectic- sometimes-overwhelming-sometimes-good-sometimes-bad-but-always-filled-with-love life.  Thanks for dropping by! Good Morning, mama! Strong hands; precious cargo Got to love me a well-organised, rubbish-free art box! Good nap, lil' sis?  Wanna come out to play? Let's get ready for lunch Inspired to bake something yet, mama? Sleep, my little one.  Rest well and get better soon. A little Iced Coffee, sweetened with life's elixir - sweetened condensed milk - to get me through the rest of the day New skills and new discoveries An organized toy bucket - be still my anal obsessive heart For a glimpse of beautiful lives across the world (thanks to digital cameras and that wonderful sharing community that is "bloggers"), please head on over to Rebe...

Monkey See; Monkey Do

I was just monkeying around the kitchen... I had some dough leftover from baking dinner rolls and cinnamon buns (yeah - it was alot of dough!) and I had seen this idea from the Pioneer Woman previously.  Cinnamon, butter, sugar and a dash of sweetened condensed milk - yes please!!!  Ok, so maybe, just maybe, I accidentally on purpose put some dough aside just so I could indulge in this .... well, indulgence. And what an indulgence - worse still, an easy indulgence as I already had the dough.  Caramelised cinnamon sugar with a bit of bread covered with sweetened condensed milk.  I don't think I really need to say more. And, in honour of Father's Day, we had special "WE heart DADDY" pancakes... ok ok - I ran out of time, energy and ideas this year.  (Note to self - try harder next year!) Don't mock the banana - at $12.99/kg this is a real treat.  Unfortunately Daddy was too slow and Little Miss M took it and ate it.  It might be Fat...

Tuesday's Treat : Shanghai Street Dumpling House

Shanghai Street Dumpling House 342 Little Bourke St Upon the recommendation of jetsettingjoyce , I decided to treat myself to some dumplings for lunch one day.   The day was stinking hot, the location was a not-so-short-walk-but-too-short-for-a-tram away, but I was determined.   And my determination and brief walk paid off.    Seated alone by the window bar, I ordered the mini fried buns and boiled pork dumplings.   The view was essential Melbourne with old buildings towered by new (ish, anyway), and small non-descript laneways hiding a treasure trove of glorious food and eclectic shops.   Shanghai Street Dumpling House is a small diner-like eatery like many other Asian eateries around Melbourne.  Limited seating is available, but the turn around of customers was quick from what I could observe, so the wait did not seem long for a table.  Service is fast and efficient.  Cash only.  Really – a no fuss place.  The...