Skip to main content

A wee bit wonka

It's been a little bit about me lately (yeah!).  In the wee hours of the morning, it's amazing what can seem important at that time.  Early one morning, my new obsession took flight - makeup.

Now, I am pretty much a makeup virgin.  Really, honestly, I have never really gone the whole way with makeup.  I've been a bit of a tease.  A token application of foundation.  A swipe of mascara which would then wipe off onto my glasses and under my eyes.  A coloured lip that looked like I had raided my mothers makeup bag.

But, no more... I have decided to make the commitment.  And so I did, starting with foundation.

I've clued up on primers, stippling, flat-paddled brushes.  I researched mineral powders, illuminators and concealers.  I know it, baby.  But theory versus application - what a joke!

It's been over five years since I was colour matched for foundation.  Five years is pretty much a lifetime, especially considering that the last time I was colour matched was when I was young, no kids, and living the vida loca.  I was out and about, baby.

Over five years have passed and I've become a homebody.  I worry about extreme weather with my kids.  Basically, I am no longer the sun-lovin' outdoor nymph, but an anaemic homebody.

And so I was colour-matched.  And here's the difference between what I was wearing and what I was colour-matched with at this point in my life.



In comes my Dear (poor, suffering) Husband...

Prior to being colour-matched, he was hit with this... "what do you think of my makeup today?"  "do I look like I've got makeup on or have just got gorgeous skin?" "can you see the makeup on my face?"  "describe my face today".

After weeks of this, I finally make it into a cosmetics shop and get colour-matched.  I come home, and true to form, I ask my Dear Husband.  And his response..."yeah good.  Not so oompa-loompa ish!"

What?!?  Oompa-loompa ish?!? Huh?


Hmmm... maybe he's got a point...  Did he really let me leave the house thinking that I look like an oompa loompa?  Aaarrrggghhh!

Here is the after shot (complete with the cheesy grin) - fully made up by the lovely Georgia in store.

The most telling thing... I actually felt comfortable showing a little décolletage (flat as it may be) without wearing a scarf.  It would seem that, unconsciously, I was aware of the huge colour difference between my oompa-loompa face and my Snow White neck/decollete.


What do you think?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 on 10

"Finding much life and beauty among the ordinary things of our day"... 10 photos over 10 hours - a snapshot of the beauty in my sometimes-ordinary-sometimes-hectic- sometimes-overwhelming-sometimes-good-sometimes-bad-but-always-filled-with-love life.  Thanks for dropping by! Good Morning, mama! Strong hands; precious cargo Got to love me a well-organised, rubbish-free art box! Good nap, lil' sis?  Wanna come out to play? Let's get ready for lunch Inspired to bake something yet, mama? Sleep, my little one.  Rest well and get better soon. A little Iced Coffee, sweetened with life's elixir - sweetened condensed milk - to get me through the rest of the day New skills and new discoveries An organized toy bucket - be still my anal obsessive heart For a glimpse of beautiful lives across the world (thanks to digital cameras and that wonderful sharing community that is "bloggers"), please head on over to Rebe...

Monkey See; Monkey Do

I was just monkeying around the kitchen... I had some dough leftover from baking dinner rolls and cinnamon buns (yeah - it was alot of dough!) and I had seen this idea from the Pioneer Woman previously.  Cinnamon, butter, sugar and a dash of sweetened condensed milk - yes please!!!  Ok, so maybe, just maybe, I accidentally on purpose put some dough aside just so I could indulge in this .... well, indulgence. And what an indulgence - worse still, an easy indulgence as I already had the dough.  Caramelised cinnamon sugar with a bit of bread covered with sweetened condensed milk.  I don't think I really need to say more. And, in honour of Father's Day, we had special "WE heart DADDY" pancakes... ok ok - I ran out of time, energy and ideas this year.  (Note to self - try harder next year!) Don't mock the banana - at $12.99/kg this is a real treat.  Unfortunately Daddy was too slow and Little Miss M took it and ate it.  It might be Fat...

Tuesday's Treat : Shanghai Street Dumpling House

Shanghai Street Dumpling House 342 Little Bourke St Upon the recommendation of jetsettingjoyce , I decided to treat myself to some dumplings for lunch one day.   The day was stinking hot, the location was a not-so-short-walk-but-too-short-for-a-tram away, but I was determined.   And my determination and brief walk paid off.    Seated alone by the window bar, I ordered the mini fried buns and boiled pork dumplings.   The view was essential Melbourne with old buildings towered by new (ish, anyway), and small non-descript laneways hiding a treasure trove of glorious food and eclectic shops.   Shanghai Street Dumpling House is a small diner-like eatery like many other Asian eateries around Melbourne.  Limited seating is available, but the turn around of customers was quick from what I could observe, so the wait did not seem long for a table.  Service is fast and efficient.  Cash only.  Really – a no fuss place.  The...